Friday 1 June 2018

Thought 635: A Note on Starship Troopers (2)


CLERK
Fresh meat for the grinder, eh? 
So how'd you kids do?

RECRUIT A
I'm going to be a pilot.

CLERK
Well good for you. 
We need all the pilots we can get.

RECRUIT B TO RECRUIT C
Hey, did you get starside R and D?

RECRUIT C TO RECRUIT B
No.

RECRUIT B
I don't believe it.

RECRUIT C
I got Games and Theory.

RECRUIT A
Games and Theory?
That's military intelligence.

RECRUIT C
Yeah.

RECRUIT B
Way to go, Carl.

CLERK
Next time we meet,
I'll probably have to salute you.

RECRUIT C
Hmm.

CLERK TO RECRUIT B
How about you, son?

RECRUIT B
Infantry, sir.

CLERK
Good for you.
Mobile infantry made me
the man I am today.

[At which point the Clerk turns his back
on the recruits, only to be revealed
to have stumps for legs.]

***

Infants signing
up to the Games
and Theory of the
military grinder,
including the
infantry.