Tuesday, 4 April 2017

The True Problem of School


In my opinion, the worst thing about (secondary) school is not the waste of time, getting the bus in the morning, the homework, the teachers, the low-level of information, the lack of proper life and technical guidance, the canteen food but the nasty and petty interactions that occur between pupils, i.e. bullying, name calling, stigmatisation, shunning, mocking, demeaning, stealing.

In other words: the rule of the lowest common denominator, which always means the dominance of the lowest level of consciousness imaginable. This is why reading William Golding's Lord of the Flies during this period was akin to getting the first taste of truth about the world that adults around me at the time miserably failed to impart me with. 

Nonetheless because of these phenomena I shut myself off from my sensitive as well as my creative selves, became a fearful person full of resentment and conformist bigotry as I grew older, loathed humanity and acquired a psychology of learned helplessness, i.e. that there being no correctives to dominator, abusive behaviour you have no choice but to let yourself be trampled on.

It took me seventeen years to liberate myself from the damage caused by the toxic environment of adolescent state schooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment