Friday, 4 November 2016

Freedom that Comes with Little Attention - Ego Attachment


Many creative people crave attention and this is understandable. Energy flows through attention, it's flattering to the ego and of course with attention and popularity comes the very real possibility of making money out of being creative. 

I for one have at last come to appreciate the fact that I receive very little attention, whether it be this blog, my youtube piano videos, my Facebook posts and so forth. Why? It gives me more creative freedom and also the ability to edit and improve previous creations almost unnoticed, slowly but surely building a better-quality body of work for posterity to enjoy. 

I feel blissfully free of the pressure that comes with people's expectations in my output, the unwanted publicity, and the fact that many will not identify and perhaps criticise my brand of sensibility such as in personal blog comments which fail to grasp the intention and spiritual content of my communications. 

I also intensely dislike the emotional reactions that come with strong or even moderate disagreement, especially when the disagreement is based on a simple misunderstanding, a lack of spiritual discernment and self-knowledge or, worse still, a clash of egos. 

Ego attachment is an unhealthy trait preventing self-realisation and often develops into pride, which has been described as the actual opposite of authentic self-esteem. 

My basic position regarding pride was perhaps best and most amusingly expressed by the character of Marcellus Wallace in the movie Pulp Fiction
"Fuck pride. It always hurts. It never helps."
Pride as caused by ego-attachment also prevents personal growth and flourishing because you need to accept that you may be wrong and have been in error in order to make progress up the Mountain of Enlightenment and achieve a good level of personal sovereignty. 

As Mark Passio rightly states in his podcast series, the three most powerful words in the English language are:
"I was wrong"
since uttering these words signals the beginning of your understanding that truth lies outside of your ego. 



No comments:

Post a Comment