Tuesday, 8 November 2016

What is Patience?


Patience comes from the Latin patior, to endure, with connotations of pain.

It follows that the more patient you are, the more shit you can endure, both stemming from other people as well as daily events. 

It seems to me that a lot of online quarrelling, whether of a political or personal nature, stems from strong emotional reactions born of a loss of patience. 

I too am guilty of this. 

What has helped me however in not falling prey to strong emotional reaction is accepting that I cannot control the thoughts, emotions and actions of others and that I myself have at times been most unenlightened and confused about both myself and the world. 

Thus it could be argued that
"patience nurtures magnanimity"
in the sense of large mindedness and kindness of spirit (magnanimity is Latin in origin meaning large soul). 

[See also Five Sentences from the Thinker as Poet]

No comments:

Post a Comment